PRINCE2® training course
The PRINCE2 (Projects In Controlled Environments) Foundation and Practitioner certification, accredited by AXELOS, provides guidance on how to apply this robust framework and the proven principles, processes and themes throughout the project lifecycle to ensure successful outcomes that meet business needs and satisfy stakeholders.
You will learn how to set up a project, establish a communication approach and appropriate reporting to monitor progress, work with the project board, handle issues, manage risks and ensure scope is managed to keep the project under control – all of which enable successful project delivery.
The PRINCE2 project management methodology offers a well-established, globally recognised, best practice framework that is easily tailored to use for managing any type or size of project. AXELOS has also developed PRINCE2 Agile®, which combines the proven best practice of PRINCE2 with agile concepts, enabling seamless project and product delivery.
PRINCE2 certification content
The following areas are covered during this course
- Definition and characteristics of a project
- The structure and philosophy of PRINCE2
- Overview of the 7 PRINCE2 principles
Continued business justification, Learn from experience, Defined roles and responsibilities, Manage by stages, Manage by exception, Focus on products, Tailor to suit the environment
- Overview of the 7 PRINCE2 themes
Business case, Quality, Risk, Planning, Organisation, Change, Progress
- Overview of the 7 PRINCE2 processes
Starting up a project, Initiating a project, Directing a project, Controlling a stage, Managing product delivery, Managing a stage boundary, Closing a project
- The purpose of the Communication Management Approach
- Definition of a stakeholder
- Benefits of using PRINCE2
- The relationship between the Communication Management Approach and other PRINCE2 products and themes
- Understanding, applying and tailoring the business case
- Understanding, applying and tailoring a benefits review
- How the context of a customer / supplier environment affects the application of the PRINCE2 themes, processes and management products
PRINCE2 course information
- The PRINCE2 course for Foundation Level introduces the PRINCE2 method.
- The Foundation certification aims to confirm that you know and understand the PRINCE2 method well enough to be able to work effectively with, or as a member of, a project management team working within an environment supporting PRINCE2.
- This certification is aimed at current and aspiring project managers or professionals who manage projects.
- It is also relevant to other key staff involved in the design, development and delivery of projects, including: Project Board members (e.g. Senior Responsible Owners), Team Managers (e.g. Product Delivery Managers), Project Assurance (e.g. Business Change Analysts), Project Support (e.g. Project and Programme Office personnel) and operational line managers or staff.
- The Foundation certification is also a prerequisite for the Practitioner certification.
- PRINCE2 Practitioner certification is for anyone who is managing projects as part of their role. This could be as part of a formal project management function or a role in which project management is an inherent part of day to day work.
- The purpose of the Practitioner certification is to confirm whether you have sufficient understanding of how to apply and tailor the method in a range of different project environments and scenarios.
- It is also relevant to other key individuals who work in teams to address business issues, and to managers and leaders at all levels who have to achieve real business outcomes through groups or teams of people.
- The PRINCE2 course for Foundation level provides an introduction to the PRINCE2 method. It is designed to provide you with sufficient knowledge and understanding, to the PRINCE2 method well enough to be able to work effectively with, or as a member of, a project management team working within an environment supporting PRINCE2.
- By the end of this course you’ll be able to understand: The characteristics and context of a project and the benefits of adopting PRINCE2, The purpose of the PRINCE2 roles, management products and themes, The PRINCE2 principles, The purpose, objectives and context of the PRINCE2 processes
- The PRINCE2 course for Practitioner level provides sufficient knowledge and understanding of the PRINCE2 method.
- PRINCE2 Practitioner certification provides a confirmation that you have sufficient knowledge and understanding to apply and tailor the method in a range of different project environments and scenarios.
- By the end of this course you’ll be able to: Understand the relationships between the PRINCE2 roles, management products, principles, themes, techniques and processes, Apply the PRINCE2 method to projects of varying size and complexity, Understand the difference between embedding and tailoring PRINCE2.
- Holder of PRINCE2 Practitioner are required to be re-registered within 3 years from their original certification.
- As an individual taking the course, in addition to gaining an understanding of this core framework for managing and reporting on projects, you will become more focused on the business case benefits, rather than seeing the completion of the project as an end in itself. The course will help with understanding stakeholders’ needs and communicating effectively throughout the project lifecycle.
- As part of organisational development, the PRINCE2 method promotes consistency across the organisation, enabling all project resources to work more effectively even where team changes occur. It offers valuable diagnostics to assess project work, and improves communication and control, meeting the needs of all levels of management.
PRINCE2 Foundation level exam
- Multiple-choice format and closed book
- 1 hour duration, with 60 questions
- Pass mark 55%
- Takes place on the afternoon of the third day
You need to have achieved the Foundation level certification to go on to the Practitioner level certification
PRINCE2 Practitioner level exam
- Multiple-choice format and open book
- 2.5 hours duration, with 68 questions
- Pass mark 55%
- Takes place on the morning of the fifth day
Included in your PRINCE2 training
- The course handbook Managing Successful Projects with PRINCE2® 6th Edition
- Pre-course support and study guide
- Course materials
- Examination fees
- Post-course support
- You can run this programme in the most convenient way for your organisation, either over consecutive days or split into separate modules.
Would you like to know more about the PRINCE2 certification?
Want to successfully deliver projects of any size or complexity?
Call us on 01276 34480 or email us your enquiry, let’s get started!
What our client’s say
“I have undertaken previous project management training in-house, in various jobs, but I wanted to develop shared knowledge, tools and professional language with my organisation and external colleagues who work with the PRINCE2 structure. The course has developed my understanding of project management and given me access to more tools and the language to understand when working with colleagues with PRINCE2 experience. I definitely feel more confident after taking the course and can apply in my role. I think it worked really well online and the trainer made it fun and interesting to learn.”
Helen Merrett, Registrar: Collection and Documentation, Museums & Institutions
Read what our clients have said about PRINCE2 training with us